9/11: Where Were You That Fateful Day? – The Red Alert News

9/11: Where Were You That Fateful Day?

There are just a few moments in history that we all remember where we were and what we were doing at the moment we first learned of a heinous or tragic event.

September 11, 2001 is certainly one of those days if you’re older than 25-years-old.

The video below is of Father Mychal Judge, a chaplain for the New York City Fire Department who is listed as the first identified fatal casualty of 9/11, speaking about the job of a fire department chaplain while conducting a service in a firehouse for a small gathering on the evening of September 10, 2001.

Just hours later he was killed while assisting at the World Trade Center.

As Wikipedia recounts, “On September 11, 2001, upon learning that the World Trade Center had been hit by the first of two jetliners, Judge rushed to the site. He was met by Rudolph Giuliani, the Mayor of New York City, who asked him to pray for the city and its victims. Judge prayed over bodies lying on the streets, then entered the lobby of the World Trade Center North Tower, where an emergency command post had been organized. There he continued offering aid and prayers for the rescuers, the injured, and the dead.

When the neighboring South Tower collapsed at 9:59 a.m., debris went flying through the North Tower lobby, killing many inside, including Judge. At the moment he was struck in the head and killed, Judge was repeatedly praying aloud, “Jesus, please end this right now! God, please end this!”, according to Judge’s biographer and New York Daily News columnist Michael Daly.”

The video of his talk the night before starts with these words from Father Judge discussing the job of a firefighter: “Good days, bad days. Up days, down days. Sad days, happy days. But never a boring day on this job. You do what God has called you to do.”

Amen, Father.

Where were you when you first learned of this most heinous act of terrorism? What was your reaction? Do you pause and reflect each year on 9/11?

Thank you in advance for sharing your memories and thoughts on this solemn day.

1. Joan Wood says:

I was rug hooking with my friends at a neighbors….

2. I was at work and listening to a talk show on my radio when I heard about the first plane. Such a cowardly thing for those thugs. So much hurt for so many. God bless all these families that lost loved ones and friends that sad day!

Plant City, Fl.

3. Leon Lurie says:

An event I will never forget,—-I was in the gym, at the hospital after heart surgery & was on the treadmill. I knew we had been attacked,& my heart went out to all those at work in the 1st bldg.& saw everything that was happening. I was praying for the workers & responders & was MAD AS HELL.
    AT 85, I am still mad as to how this happened.
    LEON LURIE

4. Sue Sutphin says:

I was in Alexandria, VA,6 miles from the Pentagon trying to get a shot in my back, which did not happen that day.

5. Mary Jo Davis-Cox says:

I had just left the math lab at Galveston College & walked into the common area on the 2nd floor; The TV was on & I saw the first of two planes hit the Twin Towers.

6. Stef Lindenmayer says:

I was in my living room in Marysville, Ohio, crying about a lost cat of mine; Kids at school, husband at work. My husband called me from work stating “I think you should turn on the TV.” My TV is always on, so I flipped to a news channel assuming it was something newsworthy. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Then, wham!!! I witnessed the hit on the second tower! I seriously thought it was the beginning of WWIII. I think they should have sent everyone home from work and schools. I forgot about my lost cat for a moment thinking of all those poor people in those towers and their families’ horror when seeing or hearing about this.

7. Carolyn Parrott says:

We was visiting my son and his family in Germany . We were sightseeing and started seeing helicopters overhead.. We were near my sons Army base and seen entrance and exits were being blocked off with heavy concrete barriers. Thinking it was a security drill, we returned home. My daughter in laws father said the twin towers were hit by planes. . I couldn’t comprehend his statement until I seen it. He stated the guilty shouted be sent back into the Stone Age We had 2 more weeks to stay due to airlines backed up. The German citizens we met was very supportive of Americans and America . Some could only say I am sorry in English or sorry. It was intense thinking about flying back home. I really prayed for victims and families. I prayed for all responders. And yet we lost some years later from the smoke and debris. God Bless The USA

8. Anna Lael says:

I was sitting at my Kitchen eating breakfast.I could not believe what I was seeing. I called my next door neighbor we hung on the phone watching just so shocked at what we were seeing.I think my girls came home from school.It was so awful. I will never forget that day. God Bless all those killed and God Bless there familes.

9. Suzan Binder says:

After hours of heart wrenching despair over the attacks on our Country, and the inconceivable loss of life, I took a drive in the countryside of NJ. In
    the midst of an almost surreal moment peace, I hummed a melody and the
    lyrics poured out of me like a prayer:
    Tower of Strength—America’s Song—Suzan Binder

10. Barb DeVillers says:

I was having breast cancer surgery that day. Was a horrible day all the way around

11. Kimberly Moss says:

I was in so cal, & the man I was dating got that day off!g we watched as the towers went down Kimberly

12. Anna St. Julien says:

I was at work and we all gathered in front of the TV in the lounge. Only words I remember hearing is, Oh my God No!!! I remember the despair in the room. I will never forget that day and I keep the one’s who lost their life in my prayers. God bless their loved ones.

13. William says:

My mother and I were in a shopping mall in England where I used to live . We were walking past a TV shop window with people crowding around ! I could just see flames , people including us thought it might have been a trailer for a movie ? We got home turned on the news and realized it was real.

14. Elaine Novak says:

I was in my classroom teaching. Another teacher told us . However we are very close to McGuire Air Force Base and Air Force One flew to the base. It flew low over our school and scared us all.

15. Will says:

I was getting ready for work when I turned on the tv and saw the news report. I thought I was watching a movie. The, they went to the newsroom and it hit me WHAM right between the eyes! I was heart broken. I felt numb that whole shift at work. For months after, I was hurt, angry, bitter and wanted revenge. As time went on, so did my desire for revenge. I still think about this act of war against America, at least once a day! I had a relative that was a patriot in the Revolutionary War. I have a responsibility to my relative and the rest of my family to keep America FREE!

16. Roger Adams says:

I woke up to radio news of first tower being hit, turned tv on and saw second tower hit.

17. Marc Ridenour says:

I was home in Show Low AZ when I got the word, and dialed it up on my computer, I was shocked. And went to church that night to pray.

18. marilyn hoffer says:

I was on my way to work and noticed the sky was a perfect shade of blue but not a single plane or the white streak from a plane flying over. It was too serene and just then came the report on the radio that the first tower was hit. That explained the silence.

19. Marcia says:

I was on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic going home to the UK. We had been on top of the Building where people were sunbathing, 2 days beforehand.

The news came over the loud speakers. We had to calm the US citizens who were panicking and wanted the ship to turn round and go back to the US.
    The Captain refused, thank God.