Indians Want Jeep To Drop Cherokee Name – The Red Alert News

Indians Want Jeep To Drop Cherokee Name

Political correctness and cancel culture continue to be an issue in the United States. In the latest example, the Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using the word Cherokee to brand a line of its vehicles.

***************

The Cherokee Nation, for the first time, has asked Jeep to change the name of its Grand Cherokee vehicle, a move that the carmaker, preparing to release the next generation of the line, has so far resisted,” according to The New York Times. [emphasis added]

Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, said in an interview on Wednesday that the name belonged to the Cherokee people, and that Jeep’s use of it without permission was troubling.

“‘The use of Cherokee names and imagery for peddling products doesn’t deepen the country’s understanding of what it means to be Cherokee, and I think it diminishes it somewhat,’ Chief Hoskin said. His opposition to Jeep’s use of the tribe’s name was reported by Car and Driver magazine last week. [emphasis added]

Stellantis, the carmaker that owns Jeep, defended its use of the name. ‘Our vehicle names have been carefully chosen and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess and pride,’ the company said in a statement on Wednesday. ‘We are, more than ever, committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr.’” [emphasis added]

For more of its report, go to The New York Times.

Please share your opinion in the comment section. Should Jeep stop using the name Cherokee on its vehicles? Why or why not?

1. Robert says:

This is so much b******* the Indians have their heads up their asses they probably ought to go visit Biden to cry on his shoulder about something that’s been named for 50 years plus we kicked your ass for this country so go fuc yourself

2. JACK says:

What the heck ever happened to the days when everyday we heard, ” STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES, BUT NAMES WILL NEVER HURT ME. ??? I guess since I was young the human down trodden masses have miraculously grown about 3 trillion new sensitive nerve end, ALL on the surface of their skin Jack

3. Greg Morgan says:

The term “Cherokee” is a white mans interpretation of the “indian” pronouncement of their name. It’s a white European name for the group we now refer to as the “Cherokee Nation.” The native Americans stole it from the ethnic white settlers.

• Helen says:

YOU ARE AN idiot! I guess all the other known tribes were given their name by the WHITES also huh?

4. Andrew says:

Well then I’m offended as an American patriot by jeep using Patriot on another model. I’m beside myself in grief and feel marginalized and degraded and whatever other adjective I can use to describe my victimization. Off with their keep heads I say!

• Mayorka says:

I agreed with the Cherokee Nation after the Jeep was used in a commercial driving by Bruce Springsteen then he was caught drunk
      Is a bad reputation for the brand.
      Conservatives also can cancel brands like Liberals Socialists.
      I agreed with the brand Patriot from Jeep Patriots Nation don’t want to be identify with a brand that use our Pateirism to earn money.There us always a two ways to cancel culture.

5. Tina Aliff says:

RIDICULOUS!!! Stupidity 101.

• rm says:

Tina….agree completely. Always refer to the Washington REDSKINS football team! The Jeep CHEROKEE is a good brand. To hell with these “woke” injuns and the corrupt lawyers behind them. I will NEVER capitalize the word “black” unless it is at the beginning of a sentence or a proper name (i.e. Mr. Black)…

6. I do not think the jeep Cherokee diminishes the way I feel about the Cherokee nation at all. Jeep Cherokee and Cherokee Indian Tribe are 2 different entities. Maybe they can turn this into a Jeopardy question.

7. Charles Larson says:

Now we’ve heard it all. Oh, brother. Jeep Cherokee has used the name to honor the Cherokee Nation indians for all positive attributes and nothing negative. They’ve used the name for what, well over 40 years or more. I guess the mustangs and jaguars will follow suit, too, and demand financial compensation. If the Cherokee Nation truly disliked and had a problem with Jeep’s use of the name it should’ve been known the first year their vehicle was made. Dismiss their decades-late nonsense and lying protest. They probably just want a lot of money.

• Roy Golsan says:

Agree wholeheartedly!

• Yes! I agree THIS is just getting ridiculous!!! Canceling everything under the sun isn’t going to help anyone or ANYTHING!! It’s just shows how sensitive some people can be! Now EVERYTHING can’t be racist like they twist it to be!
      Maybe they need to look in themselves FIRST!

• Lori Flores says:

I too completely agree with you. Seems to me cancel culture is just a new band wagon to jump on. With all due respect to the Cherokee Nation,to little too late. Don’t discredit yourselves over a distorted agenda.

• mary brumley says:

The Native American should grow up and get a life! Many still believe that someday this will be their land and the buffalo will roam. Some still live in abject poverty on the reservations.
      It makes me ashamed to be part Indian!

• Helen says:

• Helen says:

Well, what do you expect! The indian people, all tribes, have been pushed to terible land with ground that is dead and useless. All for the ENGLISH Greed for the perfect land. It is known thru our WHITE history the abuse the Indians have been put thru. DO NOT downgrade the Indians because of their living situations! I wish every person other then the nationalites who have been treated negatively could live on the reservations for 1 week. They would be crying after the second day. I DARE EACH OF YOU TO TO TAKE THAT TIME TO GO AND SEE FOR YOURSELVES! Instead of taking that fun and great vacation/vacations!

• Helen says:

Well, what do you expect! The indian people, all tribes, most have been pushed to terrible land with ground that is dead and useless. All for the ENGLISH Greed for the perfect land. It is known thru our WHITE history the abuse the Indians have been put thru. DO NOT downgrade the Indians because of their living situations! I wish every person other then the nationalites who have been treated negatively could live on the reservations for 1 week. They would be crying after the second day. I DARE EACH OF YOU TO TO TAKE THAT TIME TO GO AND SEE FOR YOURSELVES! Instead of taking that fun and great vacation/vacations! Go to Arizona or New Mexico for an example.

8. Sandra says:

My Grandfather was Cherokee Indian. My Grandmother was Irish. She came to America legally became a citizen. Fell in love and married a Cherokee native. I am very proud of my heritage. I have NO PROBLEM with Ford using the Cherokee name. I like the Cherokee Jeeps. Good dependable vehicles. I live near Cherokee North Carolina and have been to Fontana Dam (built my Cherokee Indians) many times. Again I’m PROUD of my heritage.

9. Michael OConnor says:

Chuck Hoskin jr. I disagree with you. The Cherokee name on the Jeeps I have been driving for many many years is because I believe my Jeep Cherokee to be strong, dependable and built to the quality I desire. Not once have I associated with anything derogatory about the Cherokee Nation.

10. Jack Raindance says:

Follow the Money. It’s always about the money that can be extorted, coerced or blackmailed from individuals or corporations. It’s the “pay up” with the implied threat to hurt you with physical, financial and/or emotional harm. Stand up to these ‘bullies’ and they will stop, they are cowards, that’s why they have to resort to these types of threats. They’re apparently unable to, or they are unwilling or incapable of, using reason and logic.

11. David Kirkland says:

wokism is babble by the uneducated

12. John says:

I wonder if Senator Pocahontas Warren is behind this movement. She has crawled out from under her rock. Maybe now looking
    for some notoriety.

13. Bill says:

Answer: pay the chief to endorse the product.
    Problem solved.

To ALL woke- cancel culture “sensitive flowers”….GET A LIFE!!
    Good lord.

• RICHARD says:

All this BS was never a problem and now all the sudden it is, We all know what is true and what is going on.

• Proud Patriot says:

Man o man…so true! What has happened to the majority of millennials?? So entitled, overly sensitive..thin-skinned……so sad. Wonder what would happen if someone picked on them/razzed them a little bit about what they’re wearing/music they listen to/foods they eat/sports teams they like etc etc..? Do their feeling get so hurt that they lock themselves in a dark room for a few hours till the boogie man goes away?!?! LMAO!
      How pathetic!

15. Dave Darflinger says:

Let Jeep make the vehicles and the Cherokees can go back to making beads. YOU’RE A DEFEATED NATION!!! OWN THAT, CHIEF.

16. Tamra Seiler says:

17. Tamra Seiler says:

The Cherokees are crazy. They never know when to shut their mouth. The Choctaws were smart enough to mix with the white people, consequently we are the richest Indian tribe in the world. I am the neice of Joyce Childs

18. Jim Jackson says:

The people who invented the automobile, the airplane, the telephone, television, the hearing aid, the computer, the space schuttle, etc. and developed surgical procedures and pharmacuticals and vaccines to prevent and cure diseases WERE ALL RACISTS, BECAUSE THEY WERE WHITE PEOPLE OF EUROPEAN DESCENT.

19. American Michael says:

Why are the whining now?????. Jeep has used the names for decades crickets now crying!!. Pathetic!!!!!

• Linda T says:

The people have had ENOUGH…

• Kam says:

I’m Cherokee! With a little Blackfoot and others. But I’m not so immature to throw a fit about using ones name. My ancestry is from the bird line. And you don’t see us changing names of birds! Jeep is a great manufacturer! Tough and sharp looking. Just a bit too expensive for me. But I love it that what that vehicle does represents hard working, competent, reliable people! Why must everyone find the negative in everything. Why must everyone be offended. These are not really questions but statements for thought and change. Quit being whiny brats!!!

• Ruth Gombos says:

I think they should feel honored to have a great vehicle named after them.

20. Sunne says:

This latest absurdity of the Wokers ( almost ) rivals the philosophical argument of “How Many Angels Can Dance on Tip of a Pin”?

21. Richard Hull says:

This bullshit from the left has gone too far. I hope the American people are waking up to this insane craziness and we, literally, obliterate them in the Nov 2022 elections. Our patriotic calling should be to destroy the left

22. Joyce Childs says:

I have always known the Cherokee Tribe was a little “out in the left field”. This proves it. I am part Choctaw.

23. johnny says:

The great Cherokee people are a conquered nation maybe they feel they have a right to ask this at this time . Maybe the rioters and looters and murderers need to be conquered also – unlike the proud Cherokee the other have no right to not only do but given a free pass for all their crimes and have elected officials to bond them out of jail – let the Cherokee be – focus on the real trouble it will soon be warmer weather we the people need to plan for how to stop all the cancel culture save our history the good and bad not let another statue from being torn down and replaced with something else demand our statues be returned contact our leaders (if you can call some that ) over and over and over again until they listen just complaining to one another will not get anything accomplished we must be smarter that them we already know what they would do to us if we did what the others did . just my opinion .

Hoskins needs a pacifier.

25. Dennis Sumner says:

Being of some Cherokee descent myself, I say why not? It’s worked for everyone else so far, no matter how ludicrous. At least this time the actual people being affected are complaining instead of a bunch of white college grads with nothing better to do.

26. rm says:

BOYCOTT the CHEROKEE CASINOS in North Carolina and elsewhere. There is a lot of rock those injuns can pound on up on the mountains. Better yet, they can shut up and get a job in the coal mines. Cut off the money and disbar lawyers representing the jungles pushing for unwarranted name changes…

27. maxibaby says:

Is this Cherokee Nation demand a precursor that, the Cherokee are going to start rioting, looting, burning, injuring and killing as BLM/antifa has done for the past year or so?
    I don’t understand why the Cherokee feels demeaned and insulted to have a excellent, dependable and popular product named after their Nation! I would be personally honored!

• Richard says:

There will never be a violent response to such ignorance. A people wants to seperrate themselves from a liberal NEEDING profit is highly acceptable.

28. Jeffrey Hamilton says:

Good lord, why has it taken the Cherokee Nation so long to protest? Whose paying them now to complain? No doubt the Moronic Democrat party!I’ve just lost any respect I might have had for the Cherokee peoples for allowing their leadership to continue with this stupid idea! My wife is native American, luckily not a member of this stupid tribe!

• Richard says:

A real man needs not be paid. His response will be honest and truthful.

• ron mauldin says:

I TAKE OFFENCE TO THAT REMARK AS IAM PART CHEROKEE AND PROUND OF IT.MY GG GF WAS FULL BLOODED CHEROKEE.ANYONE WITH ANY SENSE KNOW WHO IS BEHIND ALL OF THIS SHIT.COME ON PEOPLE WAKE UP AND LETS WORK TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.LETS NOT FALL INTO THE TRAP THESE COMMIE BASTURDS ARE TRYING TO LEAD US INTO!SEMPER FI DO OR DIE HOLD EM HIGH AT EIGHT AND I.DEO VINDICE.AMEN.

29. Perry says:

It’s obvious the Cherokee Nation is run by Snowflake’s. The vehicle has been around for decades and now they want to cancel this fine, rugged vehicle, pathetic. When I hear Jeep Cherokee, I think,Fine, Rugged, Tough, Outstanding vehicle. The Cherokee Nation should be proud and take comfort that a fine builder of such a great vehicle would use the Cherokee name. The Cherokee Nation is only canceling themselves. Isaiah 5:20,21

30. David B Neitzke says:

The name Jeep has always been associated with junkers, so why not Cherokee???

31. Why are INTELLIGENT AMERICANS letting BLOODSUCKING LIBERAL WOKE FASCIST DEMO–C–RATS change LIFE as it is & has been LEAVE IT ALONE TWITS !!! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT IN AMERICA “”LEAVE “” GO START YOUR OWN WEIRD COUNTRY SOMEWHERE ELSE &SCREW IT UP HOW EVER YOU WANT,& guess what no one will stop you !!! WONT THAT BE MUCH MORE PEACEFUL THAN WHAT YOUR DOING TO OUR AMERICA !!! & WE WILL BE HAPPY ,YOU WILL BE HAPPY, THEN NO ONE WILL GET “HURT”,cause I’m thinking that’s what you really want ,to HURT PEOPLE cause your not HAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE THE WAY YOU ARE RUNNING IT !!!

• Richard says:

Our Nation will not change. Every group has a right to leadership.
      Let each lead. If you not agree, go home and vote me out tomorrow.

• Bernard Draper says:

I didnt know that there were any , “inteligent” americans.
      You just wrote,”america has become a bunch of whiney sissies,….”GO START YOUR OWN WEIRD COUNTRY,”(ADMITTING THAT THE USA IS WEIRD.?

In my opinion, the USA is fine, you just have so many assholes running it. Get rid of all the politicians that preach hate and racism…that will be a good start

32. William says:

This WOKE & PC nonsense is a wussy crock of s**t!! Stop it already and don’t allow these liberal A-holes any respect – NONE!!

33. Lin says:

Drop the name and then the Cherokee Nation will go into oblivion. Ive always known the Jeep was named after the Cherokee Nation, you never hear about them otherwise or think about them. Be proud of your name and let it live.
    I think they are just getting on the band wagon of haters.

34. I wonder why NOW they decided it was offensive? Jeep Cherokee has been around for years. If it wasn’t for this new WOKE (whatever that means) generation I honestly do not think they would have given it a thought. Sort of like Aunt Jemima pancake mix. The real Aunt Jemima was proud of her product and her name on the label. I’m sure if she was alive she’d be upset they removed it. I’d think it would an honor that one thinks highly of your name or linage that a company would use it as a label.

• Peter Barkley says:

First it was the Washington Redskins, Aunt Jemina, David Lee Roth wanting to change HIS name, then this, then that!! Now the Jeep Cherokee!! Next thing you know, individuals like any one of US are liable to start getting bullied into changing our OWN personal names because some anarchist liberal group wants to declare it “offensive” in THEIR way of thinking. The Cherokee name and other names being attacked are not the problem– the problem is that there’s too many people that aren’t satisfied unless they can take everything that’s NONE of their business and go trying to MAKE it their business!!

• Robert Harrison says:

I doubt this so called Cherokee chief is anything more than another Indian wannabe. He doesn’t represent the Cherokee Nation, many of whom support the company that builds the Jeep Cherokee. More “Cancel Culture” horseshit.

• Trish says:

To Peter
        You are so right. In the 90’s (I think it was) St. John’s University in Queens NY had to change their name from Redmen to Red Storm. Their name Redmen was because their uniforms were red. This political correctness is really getting out of hand. How many more changes are there going to be? Poor Aunt Jemima & Uncle Ben. It was nice for them years ago to be honored for their accomplishments.

35. Diana M Talmadge says:

Too stupid. They let the liar, Elizabeth Warren claim to be a Cherokee & disparage this fine vehicle.

36. Ray says:

America is becoming a pathetic nation of whiny sissy lala’s.